Before you can jailbreak with checkra1n, you’ll need to know a few prerequisites:
- The tool is only for macOS and Linux at this time (support for Windows is coming soon)
- The tool is semi-tethered, which means you’ll need a computer to boot jailbroken if you power off
- The tool supports 64-bit A5-A11 devices from the iPhone 5s to the iPhone X with the exception of a few: iPad Air 2, iPad (5th generation), and iPad Pro (1st generation).
- Your device must be running iOS 12.3 or later
- The tool is experimental on the following handsets: iPhone 5s, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad Air
- Cydia is installed by default, but other package managers will be optional in the future
Without further ado, let’s get started!
How to jailbreak with checkra1n
If you meet all the criteria above and you’re ready to jailbreak with checkra1n, then follow the steps below:
1) Plug your device into your Mac with an MFi-certified Lightning to USB-A cable. You must trust your device.
2) Download the checkra1n jailbreak tool from the HERE.
3) After the download completes, double-click on the file to open it and then drag the checkra1n app into your Applications or Desktop folder:
4) Next, open your Mac’s Applications folder, right click on the checkra1n app, and click on the Open option:
5) The checkra1n GUI should open and automatically detect your device and firmware type. Click the Start button:
6) Checkra1n will want to put your device into Recovery Mode before proceeding. Click the Next button:
7) You will now want to follow the on-screen instructions to enter DFU mode. Click on the Start button and then do exactly what the application says for your particular device:
8) After you successfully enter DFU mode, checkra1n will begin exploiting and jailbreaking your device:
9) Your iOS device should now display the checkra1n-themed verbose boot screen. Please do not disconnect it until after the jailbreak completes:
11) After the jailbreak finishes, you can click on the Done button to close the application:
12) Turn your attention to your iOS device, and you should now see the checkra1n loader app on the home screen. Open it:
13) Tap on the Cydia cell, then on the Install Cydia button that appears.
14) The checkra1n loader will then begin downloading the base system and installing Cydia:
15) When finished, the app will close and Cydia will appear on your Home screen. When you launch it, you should see a familiar interface: